Abbotsford Cemetery Victoria
Sandie Keeble
2006-09-20 11:21:59 UTC

Would someone know where Abbotsford Cemetery is in Victoria?
I have tried googling it but the only one I found was at a Convent.
I want to try and get a picture of a headstone of a relative

thanks for you help
Sandie

Researching
Hunt, Hogan, Butler, Edwards
Evans, Keeble and Platten
in Australia
Crosby, Dennell and Holdsworth in
Yorkshire
Anne Heafield
2006-09-20 12:19:43 UTC
Post by Sandie Keeble
Hi,
Would someone know where Abbotsford Cemetery is in Victoria?
I have tried googling it but the only one I found was at a Convent.
I want to try and get a picture of a headstone of a relative
thanks for you help
Sandie
Researching
Hunt, Hogan, Butler, Edwards
Evans, Keeble and Platten
in Australia
Crosby, Dennell and Holdsworth in
Yorkshire
Hello Sandie, having grown up in Abbotsford I know of only the cemetery at
the Convent, it seemed to be for inmates and the Good Shepherd Sisters. The
nearest cemetery otherwise would be Boroondara and Kew and Melbourne General
in Carlton.

Regards, Anne
Sandie Keeble
2006-09-20 13:01:50 UTC
Hi Anne

thanks for that, seems like I will have to do some more research on exactly
where the grave is situated. He died in Collingwood, so I might try the
closest to there.
Cheers
Sandie
--
Researching
Hunt, Hogan, Butler, Edwards
Evans, Keeble and Platten
in Australia
Crosby, Dennell and Holdsworth in
Yorkshire
Post by Anne Heafield
Hi,
Regards, Anne
Cheryl
2006-09-20 20:55:32 UTC
Hi Sandie,

you could try e-mailing Melbourne General Cemetery and asking if he is
buried there. You can get the address from www.necropolis.com.au.
If you give a lot of details they are reasonably quick to respond.

Cheryl

Sandie
Paul Blair
2006-09-21 00:54:59 UTC
Post by Sandie Keeble
Hi Anne
thanks for that, seems like I will have to do some more research on exactly
where the grave is situated. He died in Collingwood, so I might try the
closest to there.
Cheers
Sandie
Try http://www.goodshepherd.com.au/story/aged.html They are a wonderful
group of people.

Paul
Tom Perrett
2006-09-21 06:11:46 UTC
Post by Sandie Keeble
thanks for that, seems like I will have to do some more research on exactly
where the grave is situated. He died in Collingwood, so I might try the
closest to there.
Cheers
Sandie
Where did you get Abbotsford Cemetery
from Sandie, is that what the Victorian
Death Certificate says ???

Cheers,

Tom [Tom Perrett] <***@st.net.au>
Sandie Keeble
2006-09-21 09:11:07 UTC
Thanks all who have helped out with my request, I will chase up those
links!!

I got the info from hand written notes accompanying a badly photocopied
photo from someone who had the copy given to them... so I dont have contact
with the original person who took the photo. I was hoping to drive past
sometime over the weekend and take a better picture. More work to be done
before I can do that

cheers
Sandie
Cheers,
u***@gmail.com
2006-09-23 23:59:52 UTC
Sandie, no cemetery at Abbotsford as far as I know, I grew up in the
next suburb and never heard of one. Try Northcote, Melbourne, or
Fawkner. Regards Jo.
Hi,
Yorkshire
Lenore Frost
2006-09-24 00:59:15 UTC
Hi Sandie,

The closes cemetery is probably Kew (called Boroondara Cemetery) Check
the Australian Cemeteries website for details.

http://www.ozgenonline.com/aust_cemeteries/vic/vicsec1.htm#anchor2280

Best wishes,

Lenore
Post by u***@gmail.com
Sandie, no cemetery at Abbotsford as far as I know, I grew up in the
next suburb and never heard of one. Try Northcote, Melbourne, or
Fawkner. Regards Jo.
Hi,
Yorkshire
Paul Blair
2006-09-24 07:06:33 UTC
Post by u***@gmail.com
Sandie, no cemetery at Abbotsford as far as I know, I grew up in the
next suburb and never heard of one. Try Northcote, Melbourne, or
Fawkner. Regards Jo.
Post by Sandie Keeble
Hi,
Would someone know where Abbotsford Cemetery is in Victoria?
I have tried googling it but the only one I found was at a Convent.
I want to try and get a picture of a headstone of a relative
thanks for you help
Sandie
Researching
Hunt, Hogan, Butler, Edwards
Evans, Keeble and Platten
in Australia
Crosby, Dennell and Holdsworth in
Yorkshire
Hard to find substantive detail, but Google for "abbotsford good
shepherd cemetery", and one of the hits should be for Richard Wynne's
(MP) site - which seems to be broke.

Under Abbotsford Convent are the tantalising words "the site houses a
three-story convent, a cemetery, paths,...." so why not let his office
know we are all waiting with interest for them to fix the web page :-)

Paul
Philomena
2006-09-24 08:11:09 UTC
Paul, maybe the Cemetery mentioned is a private cemetery for the Good
Shepherd Sisters. They were the order in the convent.The order may have an
archivest who would have that information.
Just a thought
Phil.

Hard to find substantive detail, but Google for "abbotsford good
shepherd cemetery", and one of the hits should be for Richard Wynne's
(MP) site - which seems to be broke.
Under Abbotsford Convent are the tantalising words "the site houses a
three-story convent, a cemetery, paths,...." so why not let his office
know we are all waiting with interest for them to fix the web page :-)
Paul
==== GENANZ Mailing List ====
Searchable archives
http://listsearches.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/listsearch.pl?list=GENANZ
Tony Moore
2006-09-24 10:15:43 UTC
Dear Paul,

If you need to contact the Archivist for the Good Shepherd Sisters,
the contact details on on this page:

http://www.stbedes.melb.catholic.edu.au/home/br/hist/rgs.html

This page is at the same site as the database for the all the
Catholic Sisters

Cheers,

Tony Moore
(Balgo, Western Australia)

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Date forwarded: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 02:11:07 -0600
Paul
Susie Zada
2006-09-24 21:09:57 UTC
Hi Folks,

You'll also find that the Cemetery at the Former Convent of the Good
Shepherd is specifically listed as well as 13 other buildings / sites at the
former convent on the Victorian Heritage Register (search Abbotsford)

http://www.heritage.vic.gov.au/

As Tony suggested, it would be worth contacting the archivist. Many
convents had their own burial ground / cemetery.

Regards ........... Susie Z