Goodbye Legacy Family Tree
Doug Laidlaw
2017-11-10 11:14:52 UTC
After 20 years as the market leader, Legacy has been acquired by
MyHeritage, noted for charging hundreds of dollars for no searches
except Trove and FamilySearch Family Tree, that a genealogist who is
willing to stir himself, can do for nothing.

Doug.
Doug Laidlaw
2017-11-23 12:20:08 UTC
Post by Doug Laidlaw
After 20 years as the market leader, Legacy has been acquired by
MyHeritage, noted for charging hundreds of dollars for no searches
except Trove and FamilySearch Family Tree, that a genealogist who is
willing to stir himself, can do for nothing.
Doug.
MyH just told me I had 10 matches for one person. They were the same
Death Notice in 10 different newspapers, culled from Trove. I indexed a
death for the Ryerson Index every day for a week, then my paper
announced that the person was still very much alive, and we had to
delete them all. That is the evidentiary value of a death notice.

But really, even that is more than Legacy offered before.

Doug.
Robert G Eldridge
2017-12-02 03:52:18 UTC
On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 23:20:08 +1100, Doug Laidlaw
Post by Doug Laidlaw
I indexed a
death for the Ryerson Index every day for a week, then my paper
announced that the person was still very much alive, and we had to
delete them all.
That reminds me of the time when the NSW Registry put their records
on-line and in doing so greatly extending the previous (by CD) 1945
death cut off.

On doing my one-name Eldridge trawl for new death records I found an
alive person in the death index.

After some communication with the Registry they altered;
Alive Jane ELDRIDGE to Alice Jane Eldridge for her death in 1948.