Buryats in Australia
Leonie Oliver
2017-10-03 09:03:25 UTC
Hi all

I was recently in Ulan Ude, Russia and was told a story of some Buryats who
arrived in Australia probably around 1920-may have been a little later.
They left Russia during the civil war that occurred just after the
abdication of the tsar, were robbed, and a sea captain took them to
Australia, where they worked (?as slaves?) for a sheep grower, probably in
Victoria.

I have been able to verify bits of the story, but the woman who told me
about it would love to communicate with any of the descendants. She is
also Buryat.

She speaks excellent English-her grandfather told her the story.
Has anyone heard of this story or the existence of a Buryat colony in
Victoria?

A long shot I know, but if anyone can help, it would be wonderful.

Regards

Leonie Oliver
Ballina NSW
MargM
2017-10-03 11:15:53 UTC
I was recently in Ulan Ude, Russia and was told a story of some Buryats who
arrived in Australia probably around 1920-may have been a little later.
They left Russia during the civil war that occurred just after the
abdication of the tsar, were robbed, and a sea captain took them to
Australia, where they worked (?as slaves?) for a sheep grower, probably in
Victoria.

I have been able to verify bits of the story, but the woman who told me
about it would love to communicate with any of the descendants. She is
also Buryat.

Hi Leonie

Are no BURYATs in the online Whitepages and none in NAA record search ?

Bye

MargM NSW

---
Judy
2017-10-03 11:20:36 UTC
Marg
Buryats are an indigenous group of people from Siberia, not a surname.
Cheers
Judy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

MargM
2017-10-03 11:31:21 UTC
Buryats are an indigenous group of people from Siberia, not a surname.

Hi Judy

There you go can always learn something :-) Found one very brief ref in a SA
newspaper in Trove 1921 to a Tashi Lama

Bye

MargM NSW

---
Kate
2017-10-04 00:15:20 UTC
Hi Leonie

Try this site. It might point you in the right direction.
http://www.sbs.com.au/food/article/2015/02/24/celebrate-cossack-krug

Regards

Kate
Sydney, Australia

Ballina NSW
Leonie Oliver
2017-10-05 23:20:04 UTC
Thanks to all who took the time to answer to my query re Buryats in
Australia.
I have something to follow up now.