FTM 2008
Shirley Cantwell
2017-08-09 03:41:43 UTC
My computer has finally had enough and the IT guy managed to get the data off and onto a laptop and he loaded the original FTM 2008 software without updates. The laptop uses Windows 7 for the time being. I need to update the Service Pack 3. Can anyone help?

Shirlee
Wellington, NZ
Kate
2017-08-09 06:16:05 UTC
"Shirley Cantwell" wrote in message news:***@rootsweb.com...

My computer has finally had enough and the IT guy managed to get the data
off and onto a laptop and he loaded the original FTM 2008 software without
updates. The laptop uses Windows 7 for the time being. I need to update
the Service Pack 3. Can anyone help?

Shirlee
Wellington, NZ

Hi Shirley

Have you looked at your Windows Updates to see if it is available. It might
be there waiting to be downloaded.

Regards

Kate
Sydney, Australia
Shirlee Cantwell
2017-08-09 07:37:01 UTC
I need to update the Service Pack 3 for FTM 2008 not Windows 7. I could only
find instructions for updating the FTM2008 SP3 using Windows Vista.

Shirlee

Kate
2017-08-09 08:01:31 UTC
Sorry, thought you meant Windows. Perhaps FTM Support could advise.
https://support.mackiev.com/

Kate

Doug Laidlaw
2017-08-14 08:00:27 UTC
Did FTM 2008 _have_ a SP3, or do you need Windows SP3 before FTM will run?

See
https://support.mackiev.com/888547-Registry-Update-for-Family-Tree-Maker-2008-2012

Doug.
Shirlee
Shirlee Cantwell
2017-08-14 08:45:30 UTC
Hi Doug

FTM 2008 did have a SP3 but I need to know if it works with Windows 7. When
I had it on my computer I remember it uploading an update but I was only
using Windows Vista at the time.

I have read the article below and it is about a registry update which
enables Family Tree Maker to utilize the current version of Internet
Explorer. I don't know if my FTM 2008 is using the Internet Explorer and I
would not know where to find out if I was.

Shirlee

Doug Laidlaw
2017-08-16 15:04:46 UTC
That was before I even looked at FTM. Legacy does require a minimum
version of IE. I tried to run Legacy on Win7, and it said I needed to
upgrade IE. If you didn't see a message like that, you are O.K.

Mackiev seem to have some good help in this regard. This link may cover
your 2008 files:

https://support.mackiev.com/893458-Importing-an-Existing-File-in-Family-Tree-Maker

For data too old even for that, use the link at the bottom of the page.

I was looking for the minimum requirements for FTM 2008. The best I
could find was:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/windows-7-and-family-tree-maker-2009-compatibility/5b9c2a04-2b28-483d-be83-ccc84923b6a5?auth=1

HTH,

Doug.