Landm. Tagel - what does this mean?
m***@hotmail.com
2008-01-05 02:46:34 UTC
Hi
I have found a relative on a passenger list, unfortunately everything
is in german including the profession which is listed as Landm. Tagel.
Does anyone know what this could mean. I have a feeling its a generic
profession as all the other men have the same profession. But would
like it clarified.

http://www.schiffslisten.de/listen.php?ArchivIdent=AIII15-28.02.1928_N&pass=Pagander&ID=244359&ankunftshafen=Fremantle,%20Australien&lang=en

Looking forward to some help!

Cheers
Monica
Kerry Raymond
2008-01-05 03:48:56 UTC
Post by m***@hotmail.com
I have found a relative on a passenger list, unfortunately everything
is in german including the profession which is listed as Landm. Tagel.
I think it's a farmer labourer (the German equivalent of "ag lab").

Kerry
Stuart Park
2008-01-05 04:27:01 UTC
I’m sure you’re right it means an agricultural labourer. Tagel. is an
abbreviation for ‘tagelöhner’ = a day labourer Landm. is a bit harder – the
m. abbreviation could mean several things, but it clearly relates to the
land. The direct translation of agricultural worker would be
‘landarbeiter’.

_______________________

Stuart Park

PO Box 836

Kerikeri, New Zealand 0245

***@xtra.co.nz

Visit my Glass blog at http://newzealandglass.blogspot.com/

m***@hotmail.com
Thank you everyone, its been very helpful! :)
Doug Laidlaw

2008-01-06 10:41:56 UTC
And here is the first reply, just about repeating what Stuart wrote:

"Tagel. is probably Tagelöhner and Landm. may have been misread but
obviously it has something to do with Land or farming. A Tagelöhner is
a day laborer. So you get somebody who hires himself out on the farm
as your translation indicates."

(signed)fred

Would the m be perhaps something different in German handwriting?

Doug.
Vivien
2008-01-05 04:23:55 UTC
Post by m***@hotmail.com
Hi
I have found a relative on a passenger list, unfortunately everything
is in german including the profession which is listed as Landm. Tagel.
Yes, Kerry is right.
It's an abbreviation for "Landmann Tagelöhner" which translates
exactly as agricultural daylabourer.

Vivien